Most contactors and construction clients insist that workers on their sites hold the appropriate CSCS (Construction Skills Certificate Scheme) card for the occupation being undertaken. Not having the appropriate CSCS card can mean it is not possible to gain entry to a construction or other workplace site until the card is produced.
The CSCS card scheme provides people employed on construction sites with an industry-wide means of proving their competency to carry out specific work on site. They give employers a recognised means of checking identity and qualifications.
The CSCS has produced some useful publications including:
Visit the CSCS website where you can access more information, brochures, posters, videos and forms
Types of CSCS cards available
There is a range of CSCS cards to reflect the various occupations in construction. The cards are colour coded and can, briefly, be categorised as follows:
– skilled worker, issued to qualified apprentices or NVQ/SVQ level 2 achievers (and in some cases for experienced workers where a qualification does not exist). Valid for five years. *
– trainee, temporary experienced worker, experienced supervisor/manager without NVQ/SVQ and not a member of a professional body. Red cards are valid for one year only and holders of these cards are expected to obtain the relevant non-temporary card before expiry.*
– advanced craft/supervisory, NVQ/SVQ level 3 or approved indentured apprenticeship achievers. Valid for five years. *
– workers who carry basic site skills, such as labouring. Valid for five years. *
– site visitor, for those who frequently visit sites but have no construction specific skill. Valid for five years. *
– manager, issued to holders of NVQ/SVQ 4 and above (also on achievement of QCF levels 6 and 7). Valid for five years. **
– professionally qualified person and holders of specific degrees or members of CSCS approved professional bodies. Includes certain construction related occupations not covered above. Valid for five years. **
* Holders must pass the CITB Operatives Health, Safety and Environment Test
** Holders must pass the CITB Managers and Professionals Health, Safety and Environment Test
To apply for any card you need to
demonstrate you have achieved, or are registered for, the recognised qualification required for your occupation and passed the relevant Health, Safety & Environment test
submit a signed application form with fee (currently £21 for the test and £36 for the card).
The information above is general introduction to the CSCS cards available, and is a brief guide only. For full details on the cards available and the specific requirements of each one please refer to http://www.cscs.uk.com/cscs-cards/types-of-card