ASUC member Newton Waterproofing’s project at Lillie Square in London provides an excellent case study of waterproofing in a massive new build.
Located in Earls Court, Lillie Square is one of the top commercial and residential developments in London, transforming a 7.4-acre car park into over 800 multi-million-pound luxury residences. The new neighbourhood includes a luxury residents’ clubhouse, a large proportion of which, including a swimming pool, spa, sauna, steam room, gym and function room, is below ground. The project therefore required robust waterproofing to protect this internal environment.
Specialist contractor Stonehouse Property Care, working alongside Sir Robert McAlpine, combined two types of waterproofing in order to achieve a completely dry ‘Grade 3’ internal environment, as per the recommendation of BS 8102:2009.
The first of these products was the Type A, cementitious, liquid-applied waterproofing membrane Newton 107F, which was particularly suitable to this large-scale project due to the fact that it could be quickly spray-applied over large areas. The 107F was supported by the Type C Newton CDM System cavity drain waterproofing, installed throughout the basement area of the clubhouse, with four Titan-Pro sump chambers containing dual NP400 pumps, as well as Newton High Water Alarms, Inverters and Battery Back-Up protection creating a truly fail-safe system.
A range of Newton products were used in order to achieve the best long-term results. These included:
- Highly flexible and extremely advanced single-component membrane that can handle severe building movement and deformations.
- CDM SYSTEM
- The professionals’ waterproofing system of choice, this internal and fully maintainable system is ideal for new build or refurbished basements, utilising floor and wall membranes, fixing plugs, sealing tapes, drainage channels, insulation boards, and sump and pump chambers.
- The unique packaged sump system designed specifically for use with System 500 and compatible with many Newton pumps.
- NP400 PUMPS
- Used with the Titan-Pro White, these high-quality clean water pumps are ideally suited for removing groundwater from basements and cellars.
- HIGH WATER LEVEL ALARM
- Designed to detect high water levels within sump chambers, the battery-powered device is included with the Newton Titan-Pro pumping system.
- INVERTERS AND BATTERY BACK-UPS
- The Victron range of pure sine wave Inverters/Chargers provide advanced solutions to ensure that Newton pumping systems continue pumping during power interruption.